Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ideas

If design is a process which bring out the value of an idea, then what is an idea to begin with?

Wiktionary offers some definitions, among them this one: "The transcript, image, or picture of a visible object that is formed by the mind; also, a similar image of any object whatever, whether sensible or spiritual."

Which appears a bit cumbersome. I will yet again create my own definition to serve my own purpose.

- An idea is a collection of information with undetermined value.

This is a bit rough, but its enough to hook it up together with my definition of design. What yo can do with an idea is what is interesting. There are two main techniques for determining the value of an idea. You refine the idea either through creating artifacts around it which can transfer the idea to more brains, or you construct something that is the embodiment of the idea to see what happens. These two techniques are quite different.

2 comments:

  1. The definition seems a bit too broad to me. I would amend it to:

    - An idea is a collection of information with surmised but undetermined value.

    /Jonas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is good. It tightens what I am after but the word surmise contain almost the same definition, at least according to a quick googling on it.

    surmise - "An idea or opinion based on insufficiently conclusive evidence; a conjecture."

    Maybe we can tighten it further to:
    - An idea is a collection of information with surmised value.

    I think this would mean the same thing. ^^

    ReplyDelete